Saturday, July 16, 2011

The Schedule Monster

So, Thursday night I went out and had more than one or two beers! I had 3. Yes, people, I'm a VERY cheap date now! My party trick used to be chugging beers faster than a burly man, but now my party trick is not falling asleep before my first beer is gone.


My friend and former coworker, Emily, and me
Thursday night. Miss her!!

Back to the story...I had 3 beers. I am able to do that now because Lainey sleeps through the night and it takes about 2 hours per beer to metabolize out of the system. And, no, contrary to popular belief, I do not serve up my breastmilk 5% alcohol per volume.

I found myself telling everyone at this birthday party that it has been more than a year since I have had more than 1 or 2 beers. I had a FABULOUS time!! I had gone to the party from 5pm to 7pm and then returned about 9:15 to join the party crowd. Jared had gotten home late and I was able to go back to the party. 

Why did I leave the party? Well, I have created a schedule monster. Our night time routine is very stringent and regimented!!
6:30 - feed Lainey veggies
7:30 - bathtime
8:00 - read a story
8:15 - feed Lainey a big bottle
8:40 - Lainey is out for the night (usually until 7ish)

This schedule works for us. She sleeps through the night and knows what comes when. We (meaning us parents) become very antsy and uncomfortable if we get off of our schedule, like our child might morph into a man-eating troll if we deviate by 30 minutes. Understandably, I have also struggled with having a social life. In 2010 BB (before baby), we were very social people!! Jared and I like to go out and sit on a patio, listen to music and have some beers. We haven't done that together since 2010BB. Don't get me wrong....I am not in ANY WAY complaining about how life has changed. My life is so very blessed and I wouldn't change a thing. I would like to find a happy medium so that Jared and I can go out every now and again and enjoy "Grownupland".

I have to find a way to conquer the schedule monster. Am I calling Lainey a schedule monster? Unfortunately, I believe that I am the schedule monster!! So, I am open to ideas on how to conquer my fear of getting off schedule and leaving the house. Do you think they list babysitters under A in the yellow pages, for Anal Retentive Babysitters? That's the kind I would need.

1 comment:

  1. Believe it or not, the kids are ok with a little deviation now and then. When she gets a little older, it gets a lot easier too! It may be in part to having 2 older boys with very hectic sports schedules, but Gabe seems to be fine with whatever whenever. As long as we take enough snacks and drinks with us, he's good. Even when we are out at a game, he usually falls asleep about normal time (8:30ish) and aside from us waking him to get him in/out of a car seat, he sleeps just fine until morning. I would recommend a good friend or co-worker as a first sitter, just for trust purposes (we use g-mas for everything) and the first time you go out as "normal" folk, it will be very distracting, but it does get easier! I think it is VERY healthy for you guys to get out and have fun like you used to- not just for your mental sanity, but it will help keep your relationship from going all-baby-all-the-time. It will also be good for Lainey to get used to other surroundings, other people, and teach her how to cope and adjust. Love ya girl!!!

    ReplyDelete